Tuesday, January 12, 2021

THE KID IS IN THE MAIL... T3M's MAIL ART CHALLENGE...


 Just a few weeks after Parcel Post began in the early 20th century, an Ohio couple named Jesse and Mathilda Beagle “mailed” their 8-month-old son James to his grandmother, who lived just a few miles away in Batavia.  Baby James was just shy of the 11-pound weight limit for packages sent via Parcel Post, and his “delivery” cost his parents only 15 cents in postage (although they did insure him for $50). Over the years, these stories continued to pop up from time to time as parents occasionally managed to slip their children through the mail thanks to rural workers willing to let it slide. Finally, on June 14, 1913,  the postmaster officially decreed that children could no longer be sent through the mail.

7 comments:

indybev said...

This is the most fascinating tale! Beautifully illustrated with your art. Thank you for enlightening us all. I cannot imagine there were many who knew of this strange happenstance.

CERULEAN said...

That's a wonderful story. I've heard it before. I think it indeed happened.

sirkkis said...

At old days many odd things happened -I believe.
I know the family here who sent their dog alone to summer cottage by train ;) This Bernard knew the way to the cottage.

Sim said...

It's hardly believable!
As always, you put your immense talent at the service of a powerful message or edifying information dear friend. It adds an undeniable extra quality to your artistic work.

Taluula said...

Well I never knew you could post your children ... if I had I might have sent one or two ... or three of mine for a little trip now and again. Joking, of course! Fifteen cents is very tempting though.

I enjoy EVERY piece of art you create, Deann, and this is no exception!

Gillena Cox said...

Very Nice, Bravo

My Mail Art is
HERE

much love...

Win Dinn, Artist said...

We most certainly do live in a strange and wonderful world, don't we Deann? I find it hard to imagine mailing a child, but it certainly was a different time back then. The 15 cents is well worth the smiles you've given me this morning. I so wish my grandchildren could me mailed to me right now!